Ain Shams University, was founded in July 1950, making it the third-oldest non-sectarian native public Egyptian university (ancient Islamic universities such as Al-Azhar and private institutions such as the American University in Cairo are older), under the name of "Ibrahim Pasha's University". It with the two earlier universities of this kind, Cairo University (Fuad I university) and Alexandria University (Farouk I university) had fulfilled the message of universities and meeting the increasing demand of youth for higher education. When it was first established, Ain Shams University comprised a number of distinguished faculties and academic institutes, which were later developed into university.
After the military coup (revolution) that toppled the monarchy in 23 July 1952, it was suggested that Egyptian universities be given names that were strongly linked with the roots and historical landmarks of the country. Thus on February 21, 1954 the name of the university was changed to "Heliopolis", and then changed in the same year to its present name "Ain Shams", the Arabic name for "Heliopolis", or "O'n", which was the oldest university in history. "O'n" University was established about 5000 years ago, and it had a wide fame as a center of knowledge and learning, especially in astronomy, engineering and medicine. Perhaps a perfect example of the knowledge and skill of "O'n" teachers is Imhotep, the chief priest, minister, and architect, who in 2700 B.C. designed the first large structure of stone known in history, Zoser's Step Pyramid in Sakkara. Westcar Papyrus also states that the founder of the Fifth Dynasty was the Rector of "O'n" University before ascending the throne. However, the most important achievement of "O'n" University was the call for worshipping a single deity symbolized by the solar disk of Aton, at the hands of Akhenaton, who was influenced by the ideas of "O'n" priests.
In 1950, there were only eight faculties: faculty of Arts, faculty of law, faculty of Commerce, faculty of Science, faculty of Engineering, faculty of Medicine, faculty of Agriculture, and Women's college. In 1969, the faculty of Education, known since 1880 as Teachers' college, became the ninth faculty in the university. In 1973 the faculty of Al-Alsun was made the tenth member in the university. However, the history of this faculty dates back to 1835.
In 1994, a decree was issued for the establishment of two more faculties; the faculty of Pharmacy and the faculty of Dentistry, the actual study was started the following year in both faculties. In the same year, it was decided to establish the faculty of Computers and Information Sciences, and the study started the following year. The last faculty to join the university is the faculty of Specific Education, in 1998. Faculty of Nursing was established in 1980, and the Institute of Childhood Postgraduates Studies was established in 1981. The establishment of the Institute of Environmental Research and Studies was at 1982. Today, the university's academic structure includes a total of 14 faculties, 1 collage and 2 high institutes plus 12 centers and special Units.
The Teachers' High School was established in 1886 under the name: Normal School. In 1888 this high school was moved to Nozha Palace at Shobra under the name of Tawfikia Teacher's School. An English department was established in Darb Elgamameez, Cairo, under the name of Khedewia Teacher's School.
In 1899 both schools were merged in Nozha Palace. This school included two main departments; Department of Arts for preparation of teachers of languages, translation, geography, and history, and Department of Science for preparation of teachers of physical sciences, mathematics, and draw. In the last department students studied theoretical and practical education, philosophy, health science, European language, science, biology, and drawing.
History of Chemistry Department
The study was arranged to be in four academic years after 1904. In 1925 the Department of science was separated into two branches; Science and Mathematics. In 1929 it was developed into the High Institute of Education, located in Al-Muneera. Afterwards, the Institute and the Faculty of Teachers came to be incorporated into one body, i.e. the Faculty of Education in 1969. In 1980, it came to be affiliated to Ain Shams University.
In 1987, the high studies in academic scientific departments (Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Mathematics and Arts) started by a favourable push from the Presidential Decision to let faculty of education certificate degrees in science for its graduated students and since then the faculty has certificated the MSc and PhD degrees for many students in different specializations in sciences and arts.
The Chemistry department was headed by number of great scientists during the last 60 years. In the same year of Egyptian 23rd July Revolution Prof. Dr. Dewadar (1952-1961) headed both chemistry and physics departments, followed by Prof. Dr. Daess (1961-1964) and the memorial head of these two departments Prof. Dr. Yossef Akhnoukh (1964-1977) who affiliated the position of vice-dean of our faculty for education and students. After that the department of chemistry was solely headed by the Prof. Dr. Ali Labib Ibrahim (1977-1980) who was selected to be dean of this faculty and made great achievements during his management. During the same time Prof. Dr. Gaber Abdel-Wahab Elananey was appointed as vice-dean of the faculty for education and students. Professor Abdel-Azim Abbas Sayed (1981-1986) headed this department until his retirement, and then Prof. Dr. Hamad Hamed Jahin (1986-1990) headed the chemistry department. In his heading period high studies started under the name of Teacher’s Preparation in Science. After Prof. Jahin retirement Prof. Dr. Mohamed Fikry Eibed (1990) headed the chemistry department for only few weeks before be chosen to be vice-dean of the faculty. Prof. Dr. Bashir Attia El-Shetary (1990-1993 and 1999-2002) headed this department twice separated by heading period of Professor Dr. Mohamed Samir Abdel-Moez (1996-1999). In 2002 Prof. Dr. El-Hussain Ali Mohamed (2002-2008) headed the chemistry department followed by Prof. Dr. Shaker Labib Istfan (2008-2010) who is now in Canada. Prof. Dr. Saeed Khalil headed the department for about one year (2010-2011). The present head of department is Prof. Dr. Mostafa M. Ismail (September 2011- now).
References 1. Khair Eldeen, Ahmed Abdou, Foundation of Education, Rahmania Press, 3rd ed. (Arabic), Cairo, 1929, pp 243-245. 2. The Unversity Law in A. R. Egypt (1972), 6 ed, 1991: Band 187 page 154; decision of president of republic number 278 year 1981 for Faculty of Educations in A.R. of Egypt.
Mohamed Abass is a full professor of organic chemistry at the chemistry department, faculty of education, Ain Shams University in Cairo. He was born in governorate of Giza, Egypt in 1966. He holds the Degree Bachelor in Science and Education (1988), General Diploma for the Teachers Preparation in Chemistry (1989), Special Diploma for the Teachers Preparation in Organic Chemistry (1991), Master for the Teachers Preparation in Science (Organic Chemistry) (1993), and Doctoral of Philosophy for the Teachers Preparation in Science (Organic Chemistry) (1996). He was appointed as Assistant Professor in summer 2004 and as Full Professor of Organic Chemistry in spring 2010. The authors is interested in the field of Synthetic organic chemistry and contributed to many international conferences in this subject. He has published tens publications in the field of chemistry of substituted quinolinone and related compounds as possible antibiotics. He shared in or headed five research projects deal with synthesis and medicinal applications of quinolinones. Also he is interested in the new trend of green chemistry and now he is working on building a unit of green chemistry branch in organic laboratory at faculty of education, Ain Shams University. Prof. Dr. Abass founded the chemistry department and headed this department at Faculty of Medical Technology, Seventh October University, Libya (2006-2008). He supervised and reviewed many PhD and MSc theses besides is listed in reviewers or editorial boards of several international journals of chemistry.
قانون تنظيم الجامعات - القانون 49 لسنة 1972 و تعديلاته